Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How It All Started

Maia
This little bit of cyber space is primarily dedicated to my bear and two wolves  ...and to every canine-loving (and yes feline too) person out there who understands the perfect bond that can develop between a man, and a woman, and their furry best friends.
Jack
Nala










 This is how it all started ...

Throughout my childhood, I  have always had dogs for pets.  My love for the canine of species comes from my Mom who never came across a dog she didn't like.  Name it, - small ones, big ones, pure bred ones, mutts, pampered pets, strays  - my Mom always had a glint in her eye and a ready smile for them. My grandparents, who lived next door to us, were dog people as well, although they would casually entertain the occasional feline stray that meandered through their backyard. I never really understood a cat's  need to disappear days on end only to return to the same spot for a bathroom break.

The hubby, on the other hand, has always had cats.  The first cat he ever took in, at the young age of 11-ish,  was a calico named Rainbow.  Rainbow, was one of three kittens born to a stray that sort of adopted the apartment his family lived in as her own. From there, he graduated to adopting a Russian Blue-like cat with green grape colored eyes whom he named Elrond, and finally, he mastered the art of owning a cat when he came across 2  pure breds.  A Turkish-Angora who passed away from congenital heart failure shortly after he was adopted and a Flame Point Himalayan, (now called a Flame Point Persian) and called him Solomon.

As for me, my dogs were always mixed breeds, aka mutts, and they had simple, unimaginative names.  The first one was Billy.  He was the first dog I remember prowling our backyard. The second one was named Brownie (because he was a brown dog). He shared our backyard with Billy until Billy died of old age. Next came Mickey, who stayed next door at my Grandma's house.

And then there was JJ.  I had just turned 14 and my dad brought home this really cute, flea-infested, 8-week old Golden Retriever mix who opened my eyes to the joys of having a dog as pet. My parents presented me with JJ the dog and at the same time outlined all of my responsibilities towards said dog. The to-do list was long and intimidating to the 14-year old spoiled brat that I was, but it was either fulfill them to the letter or the dog goes.Short version, the dog stayed until I had to go and migrate to the United States 2 years later.

Two years later, I was given the news that the caretakers I had left JJ with were forced to put him to sleep.  He had become rabid and uncontrollable and would snarl and bite at anyone who came near him.  In the 2 years since I left, they had kept him chained to a shed and deprived of human affection. It was then I realized that never again will I a dog of mine be left behind that way ever. Never. Ever. Ever. 

The hubby and I have this running joke between us: I have been and will always be a dog-loving person.  He had always had an affinity for cats. So when we found ourselves deeply in love and decided to settle for wedded bliss, we compromised - and got ourselves Maia - the Aussie-Shepherd, Golden Retriever mix who stole my heart the day I met her.

Yay doggies!  

 

1 comment:

  1. And I get to be your first commenter! Excuse me, gotta go pet the wolves; they're demanding attention.

    Again.

    ReplyDelete